1. There are cases listed in each chapter. Using Westlaw or Lexis, Google or
other internet search engines, choose 5 cases from any 5 different textbook
from chapters 2 to 12.
Essentials of Criminal Law by neil chamelin, Andrew thomas
2. Prepare case briefs for the 5 cases, using any acceptable format or the ones
provided by the instructor in Canvas.
3. Case briefs must not exceed one typewritten page in length with top, bottom
and side margins set at 1 inch. Font size cannot be less than 11.
4. A cover sheet must be attached, and include the following: (1) course name;
(2) course number: (3) semester (Summer 2014); (4) student’s name; (5)
instructor’s name; and the case names and citations (including the year the
case was decided), all centered on the page.
5. Homework must be submitted online through a Canvas Project Dropbox in
6. Total pages in the project should not exceed 10. All your work should be on
7. Each brief will be worth 6 points for a total of 30 points (see grading rubric
8. Copying another’s case brief (plagiarism), from any source, will result in that
student receiving a zero for the project.
CASE BRIEF GRADING RUBRIC
EXCELLENT – 30 – Students properly cited the case, identified relevant facts,
properly stated the issue(s), listed the relevant law with explanations, accurately
described the court’s reasoning in reaching its decision, and did not make any
spelling, grammar or punctuation errors.