Project: Develop a hazard assessment system, complete the assessment for a job or task and present it in class.
Your hazard assessment system should facilitate the completion of a hazard assessment for a job or task by identifying hazards, documenting control methods and determining risk levels. A procedure should define how the system works, especially how risk levels are determined.
The assessment can be completed for any job. It is recommended that you complete the assessment for a job or task with which you are familiar.
Your project should cover the following items:
1. Hazard assessment form (8 points)
● The hazard assessment form is the primary tool for documenting the information about the assessment, the hazards, risk factors, risks and controls. Consider and include other necessary information on the form that makes it useful and meaningful to the employer and the employee.
2. Risk assessment methodology (6 points)
● Identify the factors that the system uses to determine risk. Define and describe how the factors are used to determine risk by a numerical system/calculations, a matrix system or another method. The methodology should also define the risk levels and assign actions based on the level of risk.
3. Rationale for the design of your hazard assessment form and methodology (6 points)
● Describe the advantages in how the form has been designed. Describe the advantages in how risk levels are determined. Describe how the form and methodology are used and are useful to workers.
4. Job description of job assessed (4 points)
● Provide an overview of the job or task.
5. Completed hazard assessment (14 Points)
● Your assessment must be thorough and complete. It should be a document that would be useful to both the employer and the employee.
Samples of hazard assessments and forms can be found on the internet. Click on the links below to view some examples:
See pages 49 – 51