1) Comment: “Baroque artists created illusions and drama!” Explain by using The Ecstasy of St. Teresa by Bernini as an example.
2) Contrast Bernini’s sculpture of David with those by Michelangelo and Donatello.
3) Why was Caravaggio’s work so controversial during his life time? Explain using an example you know. (The only example you can use: The Calling of Saint Matthew by Caravaggio)
4) How does the painting “Raising of the Cross” by Peter Paul Rubens express the style and spirit of the Baroque?
5) In which way is Baroque art different to that of the Renaissance. Discuss by citing relevant examples.
6) How does Jacques Louis David glorify Napoleon in his painting “Bonaparte, Calm on a Fiery Steed, Crossing the Alps”? Briefly describe. What stylistic devices and historical references does he use?
7) For which general clientele would Fragonard have painted his work “The Swing”? Briefly describe. How does it fit into our definition of Roccoco? What does the painting tell us about 18th century society? (Think about Marie Antoinette)
8) Neo-Classicism (and example of Neo-Classicism: Thomas Jefferson, Rotunda, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, 1819-1826. But also look for 4 other examples that can be found in the book: “Gardener’s Art Through the Ages by Fred S. Kleiner”)
a) How and where did the Neo-classicist movement start?
b) Who were the main people/ artists involved?
c) What was the main ideal of the Neo-classicists and how did they express them?
d) To what ideas of the Enlightenment did they subscribe and to what did they stand in opposition and why?
The only sources you can use is the “Khan academy” website and the book “Gardener’s Art Through the Ages by Fred S. Kleiner”
Please newer each question in detail.