Maximum Word Length: Case-Based Assignment (60%) 2,000 words
State the number of words used at the end of your assignment. You may include diagrams, figures etc. without word penalty. A sliding scale of penalties for excess length will be imposed according to the amount by which the limit has been exceeded.
1-10% excess no penalty
11-20% excess 10% reduction in the mark
21-30% excess 20% reduction in the mark
31%+ excess the work will be capped at a pass i.e. 40% or
grade point 4.
NB. None of the above penalties will be used to change a student mark which is above the pass mark, to one that is below the pass mark. Therefore the maximum penalty for exceeding the word limit will be a reduction to a pass grade.
This assignment should meet the following learning outcomes:
1. Develop and articulate a critical knowledge understanding and analysis of change and the management of change situations.
2. Demonstrate the ability to apply relevant change theory to practice using appropriate techniques of inquiry.
3. Analyze and critically evaluate aspects of change and leadership theory and practice under investigation.
4. Effectively communicate an appropriate solution to a particular change management and leadership case under investigation.
Assessment 1: Case-Based Assignment (2,000 words- 60%)
Background of the Case
United States Cellular Corporation is a regional carrier which owns and operates the fifth-largest wireless telecommunications network in the United States, serving 4.76 million customers in 426 markets in 23 U.S. states as of the fourth quarter of 2014. The company has its headquarters in Chicago, Illinois.
During 2008, each corporate user of email sent or received more than 150 messages per day. Estimates suggested that by 2011, the number would be over 225. Another study found that one third of email users feel stressed by heavy email volume. Once imagined to be a time saver, has the inbox become a burden? U.S. Cellular’s CEO Jay Ellison thought so and did something about it. He composed a “No email Thursday” Rule, a move that a growing number of companies are taking. Although most bans typically allow emailing clients and customers or responding to urgent matters, the intent is to slow down the routine internal emails that take up time and clog the system. The limits also aim to encourage more face-to-face and phone contact with coworkers and customers. Ellison also hoped that the ban would give his employees a small break from the email onslaught (attack). What he got, however, was a rebellion. One employee confronted him, saying that Ellison didn’t understand how much work had to get done and how much easier it was when using email
Jay Ellison understands the importance and the drawbacks of communication. Communication between managers and employees is important because it provides the information necessary to get work done in organisations. Thus, there’s no doubt that communication is fundamentally linked to managerial and employee performance. Should the ban stay or go? Put yourself in Ellison’s position.
1. If you are the CEO, describe the change made at U.S. Cellular Corporation. Critically analyse the type of change that has challenged the CEO.
2. Explain the different theoretical perspectives relating to the types of change experienced by the organisation. Critically apply which type of change and leadership theory can be adopted and can drive success in the case situation.
3. Prepare a Communication Plan for continuous change management on employee and managerial performance at U.S. Cellular Corporation. Present the plan in tabular form with textual explanation. (Follow the format specified in Annex A)
(Key Areas of Concern) Objectives Activities Responsible Person Time Frame
4. At least 7 references.
Assignment Assessment Criteria
Topic Weight Weight
Introduction of change management
Background of the case
Objective of the assignment
• Discussion of types of changes (10 marks)
• Analysis of US Cellular Corporation’s change and challenges (20 marks)
• Discussion of leadership and change perspectives (10 marks)
• Critical application of change and leadership theory that can be adopted and can drive success in the case situation. (20% marks)
• Communication Plan for continuous change management on employee and managerial performance at U.S. Cellular Corporation. The plan presented in tabular form with textual explanation.
Summarised discussion of the assignment 10%
Referencing Implementation of Harvard Referencing 5%