Task 1: Assignment (50%)
Assessment 1 – Assignment – Case study
• Type: Individual
• Value: 50%
• Word limit: 2500 words (variation within 10% more or less is allowed)
Aims and background
Choosing an appropriate market entry mode is an important decision-making process for international businesses when they expand their business to foreign markets. Appropriate decision on entry mode is more likely to occur when solid analysis of the firm’s and the target markets’ situation are in place. By studying a real world case, this assignment is designed to help you consolidate your understanding on entry modes, the environment analysis associated with entry modes, and the strategic consideration behind entry mode choices. This activity also aims to sharpen your analytical skills and abilities for problem analysis and solving.
Procedures and questions:
1. Select one multinational corporation from top 200 MNC (Fortune’s Rankings is available from the blackboard). Please download the list and select your MNC.
2.Select and then analyse the internationalisation process of an MNC in ONE country (e.g. PTT in Australia).
– Analyse the host country (some theories form this course will be useful)
– Explain and analyse the company’s action (which entry mode? how? Why? Partners? Any factors affecting the entry mode? The identified case should be from 2000 and onward.
– Please use Uppsala model & FDI for Internationalization strategy
-Please use Diamond Model, Barlett & Ghoshal for Internalization strategy
3. Experience/lessons Learned
• What insights did you gain about international business in the contemporary context?
4. Reference List (is excluded from word counts)
1. The core of this assignment is to assess your level of mastery of the subject matters and your analytical skills in relation to foreign market and MNC’s entry modes. Being descriptive is NOT appropriate for this assignment.
2. Keep the Introduction and Conclusion short (maximum 200 words each) and focus on the analysis.
– A minimum of eight (8) academic journal articles must be read and cited.
– The assignment must be well-structured and well-presented.
– The clarity of expressions together with the appropriate use of grammar, spelling and punctuations are important to maintain.
– Any use of comments, information, data or quotations from others (books, journals, newspapers, web etc.) must be cited using Harvard referencing style.
– The 12 point font in Times New Roman should be used throughout. Appropriate spacing (1.5 lines) and margins on all sides (at least 2 cm) need to be maintained.
– Number each page.
• Level of mastery of the subject matters
• Quality of analysis and justification
• Academic writing clarity, logic and skills
• Quality, relevance and sufficiency of references
2) Organization- Brief description of the company that you have chosen from Fortune 500 MNCs for 2014 * Please refer to attached *
3) Analysis of host country – SAME YEAR AS ENTRY YEAR
4) Internationalization Analysis (Uppsala, FDI, – Diamond Model, Barlett & Ghoshal)
5) Internalization strategy
6) Analyze country entry mode
7) Discuss experiences/lessons learnt/insights gained/ recommendations on what could have been done better
8) Reference list Harvard referencing style
Please use some information from the lecture slides attached so that it will not be too different from what my school is teaching. Thanks!!
**IMPORTANT** Company year of entry into another country HAS TO BE AFTER YEAR 2000!!