Research paper – English 101
We discussed the issue of trust and food in class. The truth is that the American people have had little choice but to trust the food industry who, for the most part, are responsible for providing us with the food we consume. We need to examine the history of the food industry to decide for ourselves whether or not this trust is warranted. The new frontier of food production is genetic modification (GMO), but in fact, science has long been an essential element of food production. In recent years, light has been shown on the treatment of the animals whose bodies give America the meat it eats. It doesn’t take more than a few minutes on YouTube.com to see that ethical treatment of animals has been a low priority for the food industry. Another important element of the journey from farms to our table involves the workers who tend and slaughter animals, and those who pick fruit and vegetables. Food and union activists have raised important issues regarding the way that workers in the food industry are treated – and what it does to them. Another important issue that is now being discussed is the harsh reality of food manufacturing’s impact on climate change.
Your research paper will take you inside the long journey from the farms and slaughterhouses (and laboratories) to our tables by going deep into one issue. During discussion of your research, we’ll be asking many important questions: Who oversees all the elements of food production? What is the relationship between the legal system and the food industry? How well-tested are genetically modified foods? Since we are, quite literally, what we eat, is it possible for humankind to ignore the health and welfare of those animals who give us life without paying a severe price for it? What about the imposing list of chemicals that show up on the labels of our food. How safe are these additives? What are they and what effect to they have on our bodies and minds?
For this assignment, you must write about.
1. Examine the relationship between the legal system and the food industry by writing about one court case. The legal battles and public debate concerning GMO – genetically modified food -should be the focus your research. Make sure to focus your research around one court case so that you examine the particulars of the controversy.
Facts about your research paper:
1. This research paper should present a thesis that is specific, manageable, provable, and contestable—in other words, the thesis should offer a clear position, stand, or opinion that will be proven with research. You should analyze and prove your thesis using examples and quotes from a variety of sources.
2. You need to research and cite from at least five sources. You must use at least 3 different types of sources. At least one source must be from a library database(google scholar). At least one source must be a book, anthology or textbook. At least one source must be from a credible website, appropriate for academic use.
3. The paper should not over-rely on one main source for most of the information. Rather, it should use multiple sources and synthesize the information found in them.
4. This paper will be approximately 2000 words in length, not including the Works Cited page, which is also required. (use the word count function to check the length) The Works Cited page does NOT count towards length requirement.
5. You must use MLA format for the document, in-text citations, and Works Cited page.
6. You must integrate quotations and paraphrases using signal phrases and analysis or commentary.
7. You must sustain your argument, use transitions effectively, and use correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
8. The paper must be logically organized and focused.