In Ritzer— From
• • • • • • •
o In Korgan— From
Chapter 11 (Required Readings)
Family, Marriage, and Intimate Relationships (pp. 365-366) Broad Changes in Marriage and the Family (pp. 367-378) Theorizing the Family (pp. 380-384)
Problems in the Family (pp. 384-391))
Majority-Minority Relations (pp. 297-307)
Racism (pp. 307-312)
Global Families (392-396)
Chapter 7 (Required Readings) Deviance (pp. 215-219)
Theories of Deviance (pp. 220-231) Crime (pp. 232-245)
Chapter 14 (Required Readings)
Politics: Power and Control (pp. 471-473)
The US Political System (pp. 473-479)
The US Economy: From Industrialization to Deindustrialization (pp. 483- 494)
Chapter 16 (Required Readings) Population (pp. 551-562) Urbanization (pp. 563-574)
Chapter 5: Unmarried with Children (pp. 35-41)
Chapter 21: Divorce Culture and Marital Gender Equality by Carrie Yodanis (pp. 161-167)
Chapter 8: Political Culture and the Death Penalty by Patrick Fisher and Travis Pratt(pp. 57-59)
Chapter 12: Bullies Move Beyond the Schoolyard: A Preliminary Look at Cyberbullying by Justin W. Patchin and Sameer Hinduja (pp. 88-96)
Chapter 13: Mass Imprisonment and the Life Course: Race and Class Inequality in US Incarceration by Becky Pettit and Bruce Western (pp. 97- 99)
Part VII: Sociology of Terrorism by Austin T. Turk (pp. 195-197
In Ritzer—p. 397
You must Answer Questions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
o In Ritzer—p. 248
You must Answer Questions 1, 7, 8
o In Ritzer—p. 508
You must Answer Questions 1, 3, 4, 10
o In Ritzer—pp. 598-587
You must Answer Questions 3, 4, 5
You will discuss what you did, in 45 words or more (with a separate word count; if there is no word count, all of the points for this part of the assignment will be deducted).
You will discuss what you think about the theories you must use in order to complete these assignments, in 45 words or more (with a separate word count; if there is no word count, all of the points for this part of the assignment will be deducted).
The entire assignment must be 190 words or more, with a word count, and a works cited page that is not part of the word count.
You will rate the work of three of your fellow students.
1. What did you do for this assignment? (Must be 45 words or more with a separate word count.) 10 points
2. What did you expect to happen? 5 points
3. Were your expectations met or did something unexpected occur? 10 points
a. Explain your answer.
4. Which theories (use three or more) explain your experiences? (Must be 45 words or more with a separate word
count.) 5 points per theory=15 points
5. Do you agree or disagree with those theories? 10 points
a. Explain your answer.
6. What did you learn that you didn’t know before? 10 points
a. Explain and be very specific.
7. You must have a works cited page that is not included in the word count. 10 points
8. You must read the postings of and respond to three other students. Your responses to three other students are
due by the closing date. 10 points for each response=30 points
a. Skim through the original postings of other students Find three that interest you.
i. Respond to three postings. ii. Rate these postings.
b. Your responses must be substantive.
i. You will be responding to the other students’
2. Their discussions of the questions
3. How well you think they answered each question
4. Their answers to the questions
5. Their use of theories
6. Support for their answers from the textbooks or EO readings
ii. You will explain your ratings for each student
1. Your explanations of your ratings will be part of your response
c. There must be a word count (No word count, no grade)
i. Each response and explanation of the ratings must be 45 words or more, must have a separate
word count (no word count, no grade), and must be unique and relevant to the posting to which you are responding. You must respond to the postings of three students; each response is worth 10 points
9. Your ratings are worth 40% of the Writing Assignment grade for yourself and for the students you rated.
10. My grading is based on my determination of how well you:
a. Explained your own ideas b. Discussed the questions
i. How well you answered each question ii. Your answers to the questions
iii. Your use of the theories
iv. Your support for your answers from the textbooks or EO readings.
v. Your explanations of your ratings for three students; this is part of each response to three students.
Introduction to Sociology: Second Edition by George Ritzer: ISBN: 978-1-4833-0294-2. Sage Publications: 2015
Contemporary Readings in Sociology by Kathleen Odell Korgan ISBN: 13; 978-1-4129-1. Pine Ford Press (An imprint of Sage Publications): 2008.