NATURE VS NURTURE ESSAY
“We have all heard expressions such as “He inherited a good set of genes” or “She had a great upbringing” to explain some trait or behavior. These explanations offer two very different answers to a basic question that has fueled controversy among theorists since the beginnings of psychology and that continues to rage even today. Dubbed the “nature-nurture” debate”, the dispute centers on whether the child’s development is the result of genetic endowment or environmental influence” (Bukatko & Daehler, Child Development, 2001, p. 5).
OBJECTIVE: Write an essay focused on this “nature-nurture” debate.
1. Argue that development is a result of our genetic endowment.
2. Argue that development is a result of our environment.
3. Argue that development is a result of the interaction between genetic endowment and environmental influences.
4. For each argument, state specific examples to support the position.
5. This essay should be a “scholarly” argument based on your readings, not simply your opinion. Cite any sources quoted directly or paraphrased from the textbook Omrod, M.E. (2014). Educational psychology. Developing learners. (8th Ed.) Boston: Person, using APA format.
6. Please type and double-space your paper. Each argument should be three (3) pages in length. Points will be given for overall clarity, grammar, spelling, and punctuation.