The purpose of an introduction is to introduce the problem area and establish its importance. Be very specific when giving reasons for the importance of the topic. You can cite statistics or provide vivid examples. For example, you could point out the number or percentage of people who are affected by the problem you are studying. Introductions usually conclude with an explicit statement of the purpose of the research project. After I read the introduction, you should be able to answer: “why is this study needed?”
Literature Review (6-8 pages)
The purpose of a literature review is to let your reader know what knowledge and ideas have already been established on a topic and what their strengths and weaknesses are.
- The literature review should be presented in the form of an essay. It should try to integrate and summarize the research rather than just listing study after study. In essence, you’re summarizing what is and is not known.
- An effective review of literature is an essay that takes the reader from topic to topic. The literature on a topic is cited during the discussion of that topic. Research with similar findings can be cited together.
- The literature review should emphasize the findings of previous research and point out trends and themes in the literature. After reviewing many articles on the topic, you can try to group together the findings or results of these articles.
- You can also point out a gap in the literature. For example, if you can’t find something on your topic, you can point it out. Example: “These studies do not consider the relationship between…”
- Use direct quotations sparingly. Paraphrasing is the best way to explain the main ideas.
- Create a topic outline that will help you understand what you are trying to accomplish.
Finish with a research question, not a conclusion
You will need to bring a printed copy at the BEGINNING of class. If you can’t attend, you will need to email it BEFORE class. Use the APA style to cite your sources. Include a title page. Don’t forget to include page numbers. The paper must be double-spaced and typed. The 7-10 range does not include the title page and bibliography. Writing mechanics count. If I can’t understand what you are writin